Lake Ouachita State Park
Mountain Pine Arkansas

Ouachita Region

 Directions and Contact Information ►►

 For More Photos Click Here ►►

Surrounded by the Ouachita National Forest, Lake Ouachita is known for its scenic natural beauty and the clarity of its waters. These pristine waters form the largest manmade lake within Arkansas's borders. Named one of the cleanest lakes in America, 40,000-acre Lake Ouachita is a water sports mecca for swimming, skiing, scuba diving, boating and fishing. Angling for bream, crappie, catfish, stripers and largemouth bass can be enjoyed in open waters or quiet coves along the lake's 975 miles of shoreline.

Located just a short drive from the spa city of Hot Springs on the lake's eastern shore, Lake Ouachita State Park is your gateway to this popular water sports lake.

The park features historic Three Sisters' Springs. Fully-equipped cabins include seven that overlook the lake and one that offers a woods view. Park campgrounds feature 103 campsites (40 Class AAA, 25 Class B, 24 Class D, and 12 Hike-in Tent sites).

Other park facilities include picnic areas; trails; a swimming area and marina with boat rentals, bait and supplies. The park visitor center includes exhibits and a store.

Did you know Lake Ouachita is Arkansas’s largest manmade lake that lies completely within the state?

Stretching westward from Blakely Mountain Dam, 40,000-acre Lake Ouachita extends into the headwaters of the Ouachita River as it spans nearly half of Garland and Montgomery counties in the Ouachita Mountains of west-central Arkansas. Formed in 1955, this water sports mecca stretches along 975 miles of rugged shoreline. Known for the clarity of its waters, Lake Ouachita is recognized as one of Arkansas's superior fishing lakes. Bass, crappie, bream and catfish abound in Lake Ouachita, and the lake is also stocked with rainbow trout, northern pike and ocean stripers. Wide open waters and quiet coves offer challenging fishing and sporting fun for water-skiers, sailing enthusiasts, canoeists and scuba divers.

Situated on the lake’s eastern shores is Lake Ouachita State Park. The park offers eight fully equipped cabins; seven overlook the lake. Spaced along the lakeshore and in woods are the park’s 103 campsites, handily located for fishing and boating.

A full-service, 70-slip marina provides rental fishing boats, motors, jet skis and party barges, plus rental boats, slips (covered and uncovered) mooring buoys and transient slips. Live bait, fuel and fishing supplies of all types are also available for boating and fishing needs. Launch ramps are located near the marina.

Did you know Arkansas's Lake Ouachita is one of the cleanest lakes in the nation?

Surrounded by the Ouachita National Forest, Arkansas's second largest lake is known for its scenic beauty and the clarity of its waters. Renowned as one of the cleanest lakes in the nation, Lake Ouachita is a 40,000-acre, water sports mecca for swimming, skiing, scuba diving, boating and fishing. Angling for bream, crappie, catfish, stripers and largemouth bass can be enjoyed in open waters or quiet coves.

Located at the lake's eastern tip, Lake Ouachita State Park features the historic Three Sisters' Springs, a local attraction since the late 1880s. A modern springhouse offers visitors access to this spring water. The waters welling up from these srprings was once thought to have curative powers; each spring was credited with helping different ailments.

History of Lake Ouachita

Torrential and Bubbling Waters Led to Creation of Lake Ouachita

Jay Harrod, travel editor
Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism

Arkansas's ninth state park, Lake Ouachita, is located on the state's largest manmade reservoir about 12 miles north of Hot Springs. Known for its clarity, the 40,100-acre lake is a water-sports mecca surrounded by undeveloped shorelines and unspoiled mountains. The park offers campsites, cabins, a restaurant, interpretive programs, lakeshore hiking, a marina and more. For additional information, call (501) 767-9366,

The events leading to the creation of Lake Ouachita were both trying and mystical.

For years settlers around the upper regions of the Ouachita River endured flooding because of the stream's steep drop in elevation followed by a slight ascent. As early as 1870, the federal government was conducting surveys to determine what could be done to stop the floods. In the 1890s, subsequent studies brought recommendations for a series of dams, while a survey completed in 1909 first pointed out the added benefit of power production. Congress, however, determined the project didn't warrant taxpayer support, and it was shelved until the 1920s when Arkansas Power and Light became interested in harnessing the river's potential power.

As a result, Arkansas Power and Light built two dams downstream. Nearly 2,000 acres, Lake Catherine filled when Remmell Dam was completed in the early 1920s, and Carpenter Dam, when finished in 1932, created 7,200-acre Lake Hamilton. Still needed upstream, though, was a larger dam with a much higher price tag. Arkansas Power and Light originally planned to begin constructing this dam with federal funding as early as the late 1930s. But the Depression and problems with details eventually caused the government to terminate the company's permit in 1941.

The future of the project brightened with the passing of the Senate's flood control bill in 1944, which contained approval for building the dam. Funds were appropriated in 1946 and Army engineers began showing up a year later. Between 1947 and 1952, farms, residences and even gravesites in the Ouachita River Valley were moved. Timber was cleared, and legal battles concerning land acquisition were settled as cost estimates for the project soared to $31 million.

In 1952, a year ahead of schedule, Blakely Mountain Dam, rising 231 feet above the streambed, was completed and the floodgates closed. Hydroelectric power was first produced and sold under contract to Arkansas Power and Light on July 17, 1955, the same year Arkansas acquired 360 acres of land near the dam for a state park.

Long before the Ouachita's waters were tamed, people were drawn to the beauty of surrounding mountains and to mystical, bubbling water believed to have had healing powers. Soon after the first hotels and bathhouses were built in the late 1820s, tourists began to view Hot Springs as a premier destination, and the city continued to grow in popularity throughout the 19th century. In 1907, businessman W.M. Cecil hoped to cash in on some of the magic. He purchased land surrounding natural springs, which is now part of Lake Ouachita State Park. Originally, the land was homesteaded by John McFadden, who discovered the springs in 1875. McFadden failed to meet federal homesteading laws, and the land passed ownership twice before ending up in Cecil's possession.

Drawing from its history, Cecil developed the area as McFadden's Three Sisters Springs Resort. (It is said the springs were named for McFadden's three daughters). By the 1930s, Cecil had built several tourist facilities including summer cottages and the "World's Wonder Waters" bottling plant. In marketing his bottled water and the resort, Cecil claimed the spring water could cure a variety of ailments. In 1939, Cecil sold his popular resort, and the land was eventually acquired by the Corps of Engineers in 1951.

"The Corps -- not knowing what to do with the area and its historical value -- decided the state park system would be the best stewards of the spring area," James Wilborn, interpreter at Lake Ouachita State Park, said. "So when the lake was formed, they carved off this 360-acre area on the east end and decided to let the state parks lease the land. So we got a lease for a hundred years for a dollar. It was a pretty good deal."

Lake Ouachita officially became a state park in 1955. "The park really existed only on paper, though," Wilborn said. "There were some buildings and structures here, but the park didn't become established or manned until 1965. That's when they actually started putting personnel and resources into camping and so on along the lake."

According to Wilborn, some of the 1930s-circa buildings remain -- in renovated states -- but most structures at the park were built during the early 1970s. Major improvements in the early 1990s changed the look of the park with the addition of a new visitors center, restaurant, cabins and more campsites. "But you can still see the springs today," Wilborn said. "You can drive right up to them, and there's a nice educational exhibit there."

So what about the healing powers of the water today? The springs, of course, still flow, but because of federal regulations are no longer open pools, and mandatory signs indicate the water is not potable. However, one visit to the park will quickly confirm there's still healing power in the once-torrential waters of the river that now form peaceful Lake Ouachita and in the natural beauty and serenity of the hillsides surrounding Three Sisters.

Caddo Bend Trail 

Length: 4 miles
Time: 3 hours
Difficulty: Strenuous
Brochure: Available at visitor center

Description: Nature lovers, photographers, and geologists will enjoy walking on the slopes near Lake Ouachita's Caddo Bend Trail. Wildflowers, large boulder gardens, an abundance of quartz, scenic views, and an observation deck overlooking the lake at the end of the point are some of the main attractions. The trail begins near the park amphitheater and circles the entire peninsula back to its beginning.

Location: 3 miles west of Hot Springs on U.S. 270, then 12 miles north on Hwy. 227

Dogwood Trail 

Length: .5 mile
Time: 30 min.
Difficulty: Easy

Description: Perfect for a casual walk through the Ouachita National Forest, this trail highlights unique wildlife found throughout the region by interpretive signs.

Location: From Hot Springs, travel 3 miles west on U.S. 270, then 12 miles north on Hwy. 227 to the park

 For More Photos Click Here ►►

 Directions to Park

The park is east of Mena, Arkansas.

From Hot Springs, go three miles west on U.S. 270,
then 12 miles north on Arkansas 227.

From Mena, take State Highway 88 East, at Pencil Bluff turn right on U.S. 270, then 12 miles north on Arkansas 227.

 Contact Information
5451 Mountain Pine Road
Mountain Pine, AR  71956

Park/Campsite Reservations
Cabin Reservations

PDF Brochures
 Top of Page

This Community Web Site, has been brought to you by
Vision Realty in Mena Arkansas, REALTORS®
500 Mena Street, P O Box 192, Mena, AR 71953
479-394-1111 ~ Fax:  479-394-0003 ~ Copyright 2001 through 2015
07/16/15 08:02 PM


Quick Link (Site Maps)
Vision Mena has over 3,000 Pages on its web site.  We highly recommend if you are searching for a specific page that you use the above "Quick Link".
Arkansas Information
Arkansas Information Directory
Arkansas Facts and Trivia
Arkansas Game and Fish
Arkansas State Parks
Ouachita Mountains
Queen Wilhelmina Lodge
Cossatot River
Daisy State Park
Lake Catherine
Lake DeGray Resort
Lake Ouachita
Pictures of Lake Ouachita
Download Video Viewer
Lake Ouachita PDF Brochures & Guides
Lake Ouachita State Park Brochure
Lake Ouachita Trail Map
Pinnacle Mountain
Ask ?'s & Add Info
Input Forms
Community Information
Community Links
Community Links Site Map
Trade Area of Mena Arkansas
Yellow Pages
Area Churches
All About Mena
Utility Companies
Area Communities
Clubs & Organizations
Special Events Calendar
Real Estate Information
Retiring in Mena
Real Estate for Sale
Arkansas MLS
Real Estate for Rent
Vision Services
Contact Vision Realty
Our Vision is Your Vision!

500  Mena St.
Mena, AR 71953
Buyer & Seller Guide
Homestead Exemption
Income Tax
Personal Property Tax
Revenue Stamps